Saturday, January 21, 2006

Shot myself in the foot.

Yeah.
Module 2&3 results came in Thursday. I passed, but that's about it. I got a 75 on it. 76 average for the module.
ohhh, the pain.
2 problems with this module.
1. I barely studied. It was on airway, history taking, assessment, PCRs, radio BS. I studied airway, but that was about it.
2. I think I screwed up on my answer sheet. I got 21 out of the last 25 questions wrong.
I have to say, I'm usually a pretty good test taker. Even if I'm BSing a test, I can usually eliminate answers that are really wrong and have a 50-50 shot or better. I learned a lot about how to take tests in college. And I have never had a stretch of questions that long be wrong. Yes, maybe I just screwed up by not studying so bad that all of those being wrong was the result, but I'm a little more inclined to think that I messed up on my answer sheet somewhere. Oh well. I'm going to go over the trauma stuff we covered this week tomorrow.
We went over hemorrhage and shock, blunt trauma, penetrating trauma, and ballistics. Our instructor is one of those guys who's done everything. He was a deputy fire chief, EMT, paramedic, and city police.
He did the ballistics portion, talking about how bullets do their damage depending on their speed, caliber, velocity, etc.
One of the medical directors for the area did the trauma lecture, and I think he's teaching all of the trauma lectures. He's a trauma surgeon at the area trauma center (level 2 trauma center, to be exact).

So yes. It is time for me to quit talking about studying and actually begin to study. I'm on with QVA for a 24 starting in about 38 minutes, so as long as we don't run calls all day (which I really wouldn't mind), I will be studying, along with continuing the overhaul of my bedroom. I've never really moved myself into it so there are boxes everywhere.
Then Monday, I probably wont be driving bus. They said they don't need anything as of right now, plus I have a mandatory bus safety class at 0930 Monday morning. So I will spend the time between class and, well, class, studying.
I've got a possible lead on another job. One of the guys in my class said that the ambulance he works for is looking for FT basics and it's almost on a pick your shift basis. If he is correct in that, that could work out nicely. Maybe 2 24s or a 12 and a 24 each week, drive bus on the side, and still have time for field training.
We will see. I'll keep you posted.

It is quite windy outside. It snowed a dusting earlier, but it's been windy all day. It's supposed to start snowing again sometime in here... I don't know man, this is one extended January thaw. Is it going to be like this all winter, or is old man winter just reloading? We'll find out soon I guess. We're usually into springtime weather by the end of march. Every now and then it waits until sometime in April though. Who knows. Time will tell.
Ok, that's enough for me tonite. It's about bedtime.
Cya

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page