Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Does "Sorta quit" count?

Yep, if you didn't guess from the title, I caved.
I was doing pretty good until class Monday night. Had a pretty stressful ride in to class, blah blah blah, excuses excuses, and I bummed a few over the course of the night.
Then today went good for most of the day. Got home from driving the cheese box (school bus), jumped in the shower, and halfway through someone knocked on the door and told me that VO was looking for coverage for the overnight, so I came in.

I made it until about 22:15. We were on our way back from a cancelled call and I stopped and picked up a pack. Shame on me, I know. I suck. I'm not gonna make plans or excuses about why I did it or how I'll restrict myself. I'm just gonna do what I can and I'll let you know how I did, how's that sound?

It's snowing! We pulled out for our call and it was snowing pretty good. I doubt it'll last though.
The call turned out to be nothing. For us, anyway. Call was for chest pains about a half mile from the station. We pulled up behind city rescue, they came over, told us that "The patient decided to drive himself because it hurt so bad he didn't wanna wait." Turns out the guy is like 22 y/o.

Cardiac problem? possible. More likely scenario? I dunno... anxiety, drugs, maybe. People are lacing some pretty nasty shit into drugs nowadays.

My rig and the rescue took a few different routes to the hospital just to make sure the guy got there ok, which he did.

That was an hour or so break right there... Did some IV practice and some ETT (Endotracheal Tube) practice. We have a pretty cool practice mannikin here. I do need some more IV practice. plus, the caths i was using here are shit. We apparently get the "Dollar Store" version of IV caths here from what I'm told.
I guess the practice part really kicks in with the 12 or 16 hours that I have to do on the IV team at the hospital. I've done good so far, back when we were practicing IV's alot. Ah well. practice, practice, practice.

I think I'm gonna call it a night.
Stay safe.

5 Comments:

At 12:48 AM, February 02, 2006, Blogger medic! said...

You should have just read your earlier posts man! Im trying to 'encourage' my partner through shame and scorn to quit. Mostly cuz it smells like ass in the rig for a couple of minutes every time she goes out for a breathing treatment. Try the patch?

 
At 5:46 AM, February 02, 2006, Blogger Adam said...

Medic,
Yeah, i know. i was pissed at myself too. I'm giving it another go starting this morning.
Shame and scorn may not be the best angle to encourage quitting. It tends to piss smokers off and they smoke even more out of spite.
I know when people are bitchin at me about smoking I like to light one up and take nice long drags while they make their case. Sometimes. not every time.
I know we have a few guys at my per diem gig that go completely bananas if you smoke within 10' of their rig if a window is open.
And I agree, it is a stanky habit. that's one of many reasons i'm quitting. again. hopefully for real this time.
And no, haven't tried the patch. I did try the Commit losenge and it worked like a charm when i stuck with it.

 
At 8:47 AM, February 03, 2006, Blogger Stacey said...

HE didnt like the patch because it kept getting stuck to his lips

 
At 12:27 PM, February 03, 2006, Blogger Adam said...

Yeah I know. I tried the gum, too, but i couldn't keep it lit.

 
At 9:53 AM, April 11, 2007, Blogger Crusty said...

Check out
www.CrustyAmbulanceDriver.Blogspot.com

My...errr...his blog is also about a guy who drives an ambulance, in Houston, also allegedly named Adam.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page